Craighead County Travel Documents

Home | Craighead County Travel Documents

TO:                 All County Employees

FROM:            Marvin Day, County Judge

DATE:             March 6, 2019

SUBJ:              Travel Policy and related information



The travel policy per the Craighead County Employment/Personnel Policy Handbook as follows:


  1. TRAVEL POLICY (see page 22 of the handbook)


The County shall reimburse reasonable travel expense based upon the following guidelines provided that prior approval is secured from the authorizing official of the department:

Mileage is paid for use of a private vehicle when traveling for official business using the current state mileage rate (the maximum mileage rate allowed is based upon the shortest major highway route). Please note that travel reimbursement is NOT a per diem, and is to be claimed for actual expenses for meals and lodging not to exceed the maximum allowable rates as list in the Federal Travel Directory plus applicable sales taxes for overnight stays. The Federal Travel Directory is found on the Governmental Services Administration (GSA) website.   The maximum allowance for meals INCLUDES taxes and up to 15% tip reimbursement. Lodging rates per the Federal Travel Directory EXCLUDE room tax and should be exceeded only by the room tax amount unless special authorization is given in writing by the authorizing official of the department justifying the need to exceed the standard reimbursement rate.   All travel expenses are paid based upon signed and fully documented receipts, and invoices as to who, what, when, where, and why, are turned in for processing to Accounts Payable. Non-county employees traveling on official business for the County are bound by the guidelines listed in this section. The County shall not reimburse the cost of alcoholic beverages.



In an attempt to provide more clarity on what is acceptable or not acceptable for reimbursement, the following guidance is provided:


LODGING: Employees should ensure they know the maximum allowable reimbursable rate from the GSA website (see link below) for the city, state and dates visited unless special authorization is given in writing by the authorizing official of the department justifying the need to exceed the standard reimbursement rate. GSA lodging rates are standard rates based on single occupancy. In the case of double occupancy, the GSA rate is half the room rate up to the per Diem for single occupancy.


FOOD: Reimbursement for food expenses occurs only when overnight travel is involved. Food expenses for travel to a one day conference generally are not reimbursable. Detailed/itemized receipts are needed for submission with any food reimbursements. Employees should ensure they are aware of the maximum allowable reimbursable rate from the GSA website (see link below) for the location visited. Employees should not expect reimbursement for meals provided as a part of the conference/training activity.


MILEAGE: Per the above policy, mileage is paid anytime your private vehicle is used to travel for official business. Mileage is generally paid from your assigned work location (not your home) to the city/location of the activity/meeting. Be sure you detail the address of your stop when claiming reimbursement for local travel. Employees should provide as much detail as possible on claims for local travel.


Below you will find attached a mileage chart that provides standard mileage to various locations used by employees. The mileage chart is considered the maximum allowable mileage for the location listed. Employees who utilize this chart for mileage are exempt from the printing of maps to substantiate mileage. Employees should continue to substantiate mileage for locations NOT included on the chart or when consideration is being requested to pay mileage above what is listed on the chart.


Reimbursement TR-1: This is the standard form that should be submitted to Accounts Payable for reimbursement of travel expenses. Please complete the form as thoroughly as possible. Employees are highly encouraged to utilize the Excel Version for the accuracy of calculations.


Things to remember when completing the TR-1:


  • Be sure your license plate number for the personal vehicle used is included on the form (if mileage is claimed).
  • Be sure your supervisor signs off on the form.
  • Be sure you document the business purpose or reason for the travel being claimed.
  • Be certain all necessary documentation to support the charges on the travel claim are submitted.
  • Be sure you are requesting reimbursement for tips at the rate allowable by county policy for food reimbursements. Tips above the allowable rate are the responsibility of the employee.
  • When available, be sure to include a copy of the meeting agenda/schedule with your reimbursement request.


Mileage 2019 mileage chart

Reimbursement TR-1 Excel-fillable

Reimbursement TR-1 PDN non-fillable

Link to GSA Per Diem Rates

Link to State of Arkansas Mileage Rate


Please call my office at 933-4500 if you have any questions concerning this guidance. I would rather you ask prior to making an assumption about something that is not clear or not addressed. Updates will be provided as necessary to provide assistance in the effective administration of the policy.